Considering Care At Home


Home care is often the first choice when people decide they need assistance to continue leading an independent life at home. Many people decide to use home care as an alternative to moving into a warden-controlled property or care home.  Home care, also known as domiciliary care, is a term to describe support that is provided in your own home by care staff. Enabling people to remain at home helps maintain personal independence, comfort and contact with their local community.

This type of care is flexible and so can vary according to the level of support required. You may only require a small amount of support – from half an hour a week, to several hours a day. The service may be temporary, intermittent or long-term.

Kind Hearted care provides visits from 30 minutes (minimum visit duration) to several hours per day.  We operate 7 days a week, 365 days a year, between the hours of 7.15am and 10pm (last visit starts at 9.30pm).

Kind Hearted Care provides care support to a number of clients, including:

  • The elderly needing help with day to day living.
  • Dementia & Alzheimer’s sufferers
  • Adults with Disabilities
  • Family respite care
  • Those who require interim home support following an operation
  • Those who require interim home support in order to return home from hospital
  • Those who are recently bereaved and struggling to cope

All home care workers are required to undergo initial training to make sure they are ready to provide care at home. In the UK, all home care workers undergo a DBS check (previously known as a CRB police check). All home care agencies are required to register with their statutory regulator if they provide personal care. They are obliged to meet a high standard of service and undergo regular inspection.

Home care agencies are required to comply fully with health and safety legislation to identify and minimise risks to people receiving care and their careworkers.


  • Personal Care - Any assistance with bathing and personal hygiene
  • Dressing
  • Meal preparation
  • Medication prompts
  • Companionship
  • Household chores
  • Social trips (including shopping)
  • Mobilising and Exercise

Funding Care

Your local council’s social work team are obliged to perform an assessment of your care needs if you request it. If they agree that you need care, they will undertake a financial assessment. Taking your income and savings – but not the value of your home – into account, the financial assessment will establish whether you qualify for financial assistance from the state.

There are several ways that care can be funded. In some cases local councils, general practitioners (GP’s) or Clinical Commissioning Groups will pay all or part of the costs of care. In England and Wales people may be required to make a financial contribution to their package of care.

Once the council has decided that you have eligible needs for care, they will discuss with you how these can be met. What happens next depends on where you are in the UK and on your local council. The council may provide your care itself, or ask an approved agency to provide it on their behalf. Or the council may offer you a personal budget – a notional amount to spend – which would give you more choice and control over your care. This could also be spent using a direct payment – cash given to you by the council to arrange your own care.

Instead of a direct payment, you could ask the council to buy council services or services from a homecare provider for you, using your personal budget. Finally, you or your family can fund your own care, without state assistance, and use a local homecare agency privately to provide care, or add to the care the council provides.